1. Why men fear women presence in innermost religious circles?
2. Is religion not the most primitive tool to maintain male domination in the society?
3. Will tomorrow be a bitter standoff at the Shani temple in Shingnapur village in the Ahmednagar district of Maharastra?
4. Is it just another political spectacle or a sincere part of a the lager fight in gender discrimination?
5. Women activists are planning to storm the Shani Shingnapur temple tomorrow and women of the village and the nearby villages are preparing to stop them. There are reports of multi-layered security around the sanctum sanctorum and if we go by them, the planned break in by the protesting group of women look unlikely. And when the issue is already in the Supreme Court, why this haste?
6. There are many taboos humiliating and restricting women rights in our society and this is one of them – a practice that is socially acceptable that even majority of women endorse it. In fact, here in this case, women are prepared to block women. Is confrontation a logical way to break such a taboo then?
7. It is not restricted to any particular religion. In fact, women have been historically denied their religious rights – and the problem is acute in religions like Islam or Hinduism or in different tribal sects. So what should be the road ahead to work on such massive problems that sweep societies across countries?
8. Or there cannot be any laid-out/defined strategy. The problem will be taken care of by progresses made in civilizations or by evolutionary changes?
9. But then, aren’t we already overdoing it? We have commoditized women for long, making them second class citizens. That was the case even in the advanced societies like the US not so long ago. In fact, the most powerful nation in the world is yet to have a woman president.
10. So, what should be the priority then – while intensifying the fight for the just demand of religious equality – a multi-pronged approach involving legal, social and political measures?
©/IPR: Santosh Chaubey – https://santoshchaubey.wordpress.com/