It’s proving to be a bad day for US President Donald Trump. A federal US court has upheld a lower court ruling which blocked Trump’s ambitious but highly divisive travel ban plans targeting travellers from six Muslim majority nations.
In March, a Hawaii court had blocked the Trump Administration’s second attempt to reintroduce the travel ban, and said it was biased and discriminatory.
Trump signed a new executive order on March 6, weeks after the first futile attempt to ban immigration from some Muslim majority countries.
The Trump administration made some minor changes to the first version of the executive order, which was issued on January 27, so that it could evade the courts. For example, the second order excluded Iraq from the list of countries facing the ban, and featured exemptions for green card holders, permanent US residents, and for those already having a US visa.
But the courts weren’t satisfied.
CANCELLED SPEECH, UK’S FURY OVER LEAKED INTEL
Earlier in the day, it was widely reported that Trump’s proposed speech in the Israeli parliament – Knesset – had been cancelled.
An Associated Press report quoting Israel’s parliament speaker said “a proposal that Donald Trump would speak before the Knesset during his visit to Israel was scrapped over fears that the American president would be interrupted and heckled by some lawmakers”.
And the day began with a news break that left Trump embarrassed.
Furious British authorities warned that they would stop sharing information with the United States, after it surfaced that intelligence on the Manchester Arena bombing which they’d shared with the US had been leaked to the US media.
British PM Theresa May said she would raise the issue with Donald Trump when she meets him at the NATO Summit in Brussels.
In damage control mode, Trump asked the US Department of Justice to find the culprit and “prosecute the person to the fullest extent of the law”.