DONALD TRUMP SAYS MILITARY ACTION AGAINST N KOREA NOT FIRST CHOICE, DISCUSSES OPTIONS WITH XI JINPING

The article originally appeared on India Today.

US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping exchanged ideas for the resolution of the North Korean nuclear crisis during a phone conversation, China Global Television Network (CGTN) reported.

North Korea detonated a hydrogen bomb on September 3, in its sixth and most powerful nuclear test to date. Pyongyang has warned of more ‘gift packages’ for Washington.

“President Xi stressed that China is committed towards denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and relies on dialogue and negotiations to appropriately resolve the issue,” CGTN said in a release

In response, Trump expressed deep concern over the North Korean threat, and pressed for more communication with China with a view to resolve the crisis as soon as possible.

MILITARY ACTION NOT FIRST CHOICE: TRUMP

Trump today said military action against North Korea isn’t the US’ first choice, and that he’d like to exhaust other options first, Reuters reported.

This is in stark contrast to Trump’s earlier remarks.

Last month, Trump had warned North Korea of “fire and fury” in case of a nuclear threat. He spoke of military action on different occasions, and said direct talks were “no more an option.”

On Tuesday, he even allowed US allies South Korea and Japan to buy more highly sophisticated US weapons.

But the opinion on action on North Korea has been highly divided and it might have pushed Trump to reconsider his options.

China and Russia do not favour the military option. Nor do the South Koreans, for that matter. All them are focussing on talks and sanctions.

Russia advocates a diplomatic approach, and has said the military hysteria surrounding North Korea could lead to a global catastrophe.

Meanwhile, the emergency UN Security Council meeting held after North Korea’s hydrogen bomb test failed to reach a conclusion on a decisive action against Pyongyang.

©SantoshChaubey